Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Part 2. The Plot.

*I think I'm going to need to do 4 posts, apparently I have more to say than I though... who knew?! 


You could feel the excitement vibrating off of me after I had bought my ticket. I was about to board a plane to DC, to spend 3 days with my family and to meet this guy that had somehow made me smile non stop for days.. Of course, I had about a week and a half to go and frankly, time couldn't have moved slower.

Luckily, I had 4th of July weekend to distract me (that weekend is a story on its own, let me tell you) and kept busy and drunk the entire time. When it was back to work on Tuesday I knew that the days would creep by and I had to do something to keep myself from going insane.

Of course, talking to him helped. We talked on the phone and texted trying to decide what we were going to do, well he was trying to decide.. I had made up my mind to just let the day happen and not make any plans. Which was a risk, and I knew that.. but so was the entire journey and if I was willing to take that risk, of course I could risk him planning our day together.

When Thursday finally arrived, I was more than ready to get out there. The day went by fast and by the time I was out of work, I was ready to hit the road. Luckily, I live about 5 minutes from the airport and being it is a SMALL airport, my mom and I took our time arriving and saying goodbye.

Through tears my mom looked at me and said, "I'm afraid you won't come home..."

"Of course I'm coming home mom. Why wouldn't I?"

With that, I hugged her goodbye, made her a promise I'd be home and headed off on my adventure. After an interesting conversation at the airport bar (YAY FOR BEING 21), I boarded my plane and was off. There was no turning back now. I thought back to the many conversations the boy and I had, in my mind nothing but good could come of this.

The flights were smooth, and I arrived in DC with no issue. I was picked up and taken to the apartment. My sister and I talked for about 5 minutes before we both decided we needed to go to bed, it was late and we had early mornings. Of course, I was all jittery and unable to sleep. Tomorrow was the big day and I was nervous, very nervous. Eventually sleep stopped alluding me and before I knew it I was waking up, ready to face the day. The next few hours are dull and drab, filled with me getting ready, reading, trying on every article of clothing I brought, watching daytime talk shows, and calling everyone that would listen to me freak out. And then....

*knock* *knock* *knock*

I started shaking immediately. He's here and this is really happening. I opened the door and there he was. Handsome, smiling, and everything I had expected. He bounded in and shook my hand, "You must be Ella, I'm *name*". Almost instantaneously my nerves were gone. I stopped shaking and was so ready to just go with it, whatever we were about to do for the day. He went to grab his gear as he was staying with us in the apartment before leaving for a military "camp" of sorts (where he was teaching hand to hand combatives). Meanwhile, I gathered my things, took one last glance in the mirror fixing and hiding any imperfections, and once all was said in done, we were ready to start our day.

He opened the door to his truck and I hopped in and the conversation immediately started. It flowed naturally and freely between the two of us, as if we had known each other for years and not just a few weeks. He took me to my very first Army Base, which was neat, I wish I could've seen more than just watching out a window but he had plans, and we had places to be. We took off towards Georgetown, he was giddy and spilled the beans on our first destination. "I want you to see the steps that were featured in 'The Excorcist'" He was so excited... I was so sad I had to admit to one of my flaws.. The one where my movie knowledge and viewing has been limited over the years and (don't hate or kill me) I have not seen the excorcist. He was a bit disappointed, but he took me there anyways, I jokingly told him we could re-enact the movie (obviously based off his memory) if there weren't people on the stairs. It was pretty cool to see something like that, something that only a few people know about, and in DC those gems are few and far between.

After we got back into the truck, we headed into Georgetown to find some lunch. After parking we walked around downtown, reading every restaurants menu, agreeing on restaurants we thought sounded good and those that sounded terrible. We walked all around, he stopped with me as I talked about supporting one of my more favorite causes with an activists. He listened intently and wasn't annoyed or bored as discussed the happenings of this organization. Eventually, I pulled away from the activist and we continued to walk on heading towards the restaurant we chose with a coin toss. He offered his arm as we crossed the street, wanting to make sure little ol' me got across safely.

I was smiling like an idiot. It isn't every day that I get treated that way and I loved it and appreciated it. Here I was, with a man who enjoyed ME for ME. It wasn't about what I looked like, because we had to have a "relationship" through conversation and intelligence. It wasn't about just being nice and putting up with his friends little sister... no, he appreciated me and was enjoying my company. I didn't have to be anyone else. I didn't have to edit out parts of my personality. As we sat there in our restaurant, me with my glass of wine, he with his beer, we discussed politics and it wasn't even a horrible conversation. We discussed just about everything you can think of, all while joking with each other and deciding to try Raw Oysters. Now, I'm always game to try new things, I love food and won't pass down an opportunity to enjoy something else... He is a meat and potatoes guy, but he did it. He sucked down the oysters with me and seemingly enjoyed it... "I'm trying to expand my taste for food, and drinks"

So respectable. So intelligent. So driven.
It was just... wonderful.
Every part of that meal, the food, the drink and the boy sitting across from me with the bluest eyes you have ever seen.

And despite only having a day together, we were only just beginning..

No comments:

Post a Comment